Wednesday 9 December 2009

Getting started on the CD package

The other week when we had a practical lesson I dedicated the lesson to do some better research on CD packages.
Here's the power point I produced;

2690615">Looking At Cd Package

View more presentations from emily.


This has helped me and inspired me for some creative designs.
Using Photo Shop I first of all measured the size of a CD case front insert and created a file to the specific size. Then using a few photographs from my animation I cut out bits and tryed out different backgrounds. Here are some practices:



Above I took this photograph from the end of my animation and using Photoshop faded out some of the background, I felt this worked well so I tryed it when I practiced creating the CD front cover.






From all of the above I cut out using the lasso tool of Photoshop then I experiemented layering them for the CD front cover.

My initial idea was to have the front cover as the heart created by beads with a in keeping background and then on the back cover have the deformed heart with the in keeping background (such as paparazzi revealed behind the now broken heart) I experimented with this and the heart looks good but the background is to contrasting.





The way I created the background was I found a good picture to practice with of paparrazzi then I digital mantipulated it using the filter effects on photoshop then selected it to be the background layer using the order of layering on the side of the layer panel.
From this I decided to use the same heart idea with the background as my credit photographs from the end of my animation. Using the bucket I edited the writing pictures to blend them into the white background which I am using at the moment.




As you can see this did not work, because you can not see the text, I thought you might beable to on the deformed heart, but you can't. The idea was that the front would be the full heart and the viewer is not meant to see the text. And the deformed heart on the back of the CD cover, but it doesn't work because you can not see the text.
Doc 1

This is the start of the back CD cover I chose to use, first of all I made a new document in Photoshop making it the correct size for a CD cover, then I added a layer and dropped and dragged the deformed heart into the new layer. Then after much experimentation with colours for the background from the colour palette I decided to pick up the colour from inside the heart. I applied this as the background and decided it blends well and the heart doesn't look out of place on that colour. Also this colour works well because her CD cover for the It's Not Me It's You album has a basic colour which is similar. I got this from previous research.


I also tryed to cut out the letters from Lily Allen's album as I thought this would show continuity, but because the picture did not have high enough pixel quality once I had cut it out the edges were extremly jaggered.

The idea behind the front and back cover is that the front is the full heart, showing strong and behind it has weakened, because I took these images from my animation it shows contiuity and the colour scheme is in keeping.

These are the final results, once I had completed them I printed them off, which was easier said than done. This is because although I set the size of the images to the CD case they automatically change to a sqaure so I had to have the width a little smaller to make the images fit in the CD case. As a result of this the back CD image looks to small width ways. If I have any time to review this I will try and make an insert for the small hidge section so there is not a blank space.

Also if we have any more time on the CD package I will create an in side image, I have an idea to take a photograph of colourful beads inculding the ones incorporated in my anamation and the other CD covers. I would also attempt to get the maganize advert of the busy collected images and hands around it, which I will blog next! Onto my atcul CD, I may beable to have this done at a printing shop.

The end result;
Directly below is the back cover and below that is the front cover. I am happy with the result I feel the simplistic ideas fits into the animation and Lily Allen's style. If I had any more time on this I would first of all see if there was anyway to make the images have a higher pixel resolustion to make the pictures sharper, I did try to do this but even the media technician did'nt no. And if I had a chance I would put the image which I have used for my advert onto the atul CD, I would have to have this done at a printing shop. I would also get lots of beads including the ones used in the animation and have this as part of the inside insert along with another side which I would create a collage of images from my over 1000 stills for my animation and create a picture collage like the one on the last page of the slideshow in the maganize advert blog entry.



0 comments: